11.14.2008

DJ HONEYPOT RIDEZ DA LIGHTNIN !!



This is a pic of me DJing on Halloween. I was channeling the spirit of my dj name--DJ HoNeyPoT. The white afro exuded a synthetic toxicity. My real hair smelled like magic markers by the end of the night. I had a blast, tho. Place was packed by the end--you couldn't walk from one end to the other. Beer sweat was drippin off the walls.

I got to check out the whole Serato digital dj thing some more that night. One of the other DJs was using it--he ran his whole set from a laptop with a cool Tom Selleck sticker on the lid. It sounded great, but he kept lamenting to me that he was "cheating". Who cares, I responded, what difference does it make how you do it, as long as you rip a kick ass set? He shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't sure. I guess he assumed I'm some kind of purist since i DJ with vinyl, but I'm not. I actually think that digital djing is an improvement in many ways. Gone is all the lugging around and schlepping of records and needing room to store them all. Everything is right there on yr fingertips, along with extras like samplers and equalizers...all sorts of stuff that makes for an amazing mix.

My thing is totally selfish. I love the way vinyl feels. I love the big ass album covers and the art on them. I love stacking records in piles around my turntables. I love record stores and their musty, lost in time feeling or else their underground club vibe with djs wearing backpacks and digging through crates.

I love scratching--I love the pop sizzle of a needle on a record.

I equate looking at a laptop with doing work and for me, DJing is all about having FUN. I don't expect to ever make a dime off it.



Don't believe the hype about progress--the future is authored by freaks, losers and nerds.

Frivolity is a valuable resource.

Tap it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rawr. I'm such a sucker for white afros and prison stripes.

TRUE said...

Yee-haw. Just watch out for cigarettes and other open flames getting near the fro and its all good :)

liz said...

You are awesome.

madhouse 6 said...

a) i dig the wig.
b) i really dig the cassette tape art... that's sweet.

Greg said...

this tom selleck sticker! http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregbarris/3998455591/in/photostream/